Wonderfully flavorful crustless onion quiche with cheese is an easy recipe that yields impressive results. It’s also keto and gluten free.
The idea for this delicious crustless onion quiche recipe came from a reader. I used to have a recipe for mini onion quiches on this blog. When John Razzano emailed me to ask if he could make them in a 9-inch pie plate, I was intrigued. It sounded doable and easy!
John reported back that indeed, the recipe worked (he simply baked it for a little longer), and sent this gorgeous photo:
So obviously, I just had to make it too! I did make a few small tweaks (amazingly, I can’t even make my own recipes without tweaking them).
How to make crustless onion quiche
Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. But the basics are easy. Cook onions in olive oil until browned. Add the cooked onions to a seasoned mixture of eggs, Greek yogurt, and coconut flour. Then pour into a pie plate and bake until set and golden-brown.
What to serve with crustless onion quiche
Is this a healthy recipe?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this crustless onion quiche in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty quiche recipes
Crustless Onion Quiche
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (12oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, 1/2 more teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper, nutmeg and coconut flour. Using a spatula, mix in the cheese and the caramelized onions.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie plate. Bake 40-45 minutes, until puffed and set and a toothpick inserted in the center of the quiche comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes in the baking dish on a cooling rack, then carefully run a knife around the edges to loosen. Invert onto a cutting board, then back to the cooling rack to finish cooling, about 10 more minutes.
- Carefully transfer the quiche back to the cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut into 6 slices, and serve.