Creamed spinach baked eggs make a healthy, delicious and filling weekend breakfast or a tasty meatless lunch or dinner.
Creamed spinach baked eggs are one of my favorite brunch dishes (baked eggs and mushrooms is another one). They are tasty, filling, and very healthy.
I also like making this recipe for my lunch during the week. My entire family loves this dish, with the exception of my youngest, The Picky Eater, who refuses to eat most spinach dishes.
How to make creamed spinach baked eggs
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The idea is very simple. You make creamed spinach, then top it with eggs and bake until the egg whites are set. The concept is similar to shakshuka. But instead of cooking the eggs in a spicy tomato sauce, you cook them in creamed spinach.
A nice variation is to add tomato slices on top of the creamed spinach, then top them with the eggs. The tomatoes add great color and flavor.
How to eat creamed spinach baked eggs
I simply eat this dish with a knife and a fork. I like to mix the yolks into the spinach for a yummy sauce. If you don’t mind gluten/carbs, crusty bread is obviously great with this type of dish. Sometimes I serve it with almond flour biscuits or with toasted 90 second bread. It’s also good with buttered slices of almond flour bread.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I do believe that creamed spinach baked eggs are healthy. Spinach is very healthy and eggs are nutritious. As for the butter, cream, and Parmesan, current research says that full-fat dairy products are in fact harmless for most healthy people, and might even be beneficial.
So while this dish is obviously perfect for those on a low carb or keto diet, I think it’s an excellent choice for everyone.
More egg recipes you might enjoy
Creamed Spinach Baked Eggs
- 1 lb. frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray two small, shallow, 1/2-quart baking dishes with olive oil spray. You can also make this in a square 8-inch pan.
- Make the creamed spinach: Place the frozen spinach in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high just until thawed, about 3 minutes. Place the spinach in a colander and press on it to get out as much liquid as possible. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, heavy cream and Parmesan. Cook, stirring, just until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the creamed spinach to the prepared baking dishes. Break two eggs into each dish. Bake until whites are set, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes (and with a little more salt and pepper if you’d like) and serve.