This healthy corn soup is creamy and velvety. It’s simple and easy to make. I use frozen corn kernels, because I find they taste better than canned.
This creamy, velvety, very flavorful corn soup has a nice subtle kick from the addition of cayenne pepper. It’s a very easy recipe, making it ideal for weeknights.
Leftovers of this simple easy corn soup keep well in the fridge, so I often have them for lunch the next day.
I use Greek yogurt to thicken the corn soup and add creaminess, although you can certainly use whole milk or cream imstead. But I really like the texture that thick Greek yogurt adds to the soup.
I prefer to use frozen corn kernels in this easy corn soup recipe, because I think they taste better than canned, but you can probably use canned if you prefer.
Apart from its carb content, a big concern with corn is GMOs. If this is something that you wish to avoid, it’s best to use organic corn in this easy and healthy corn soup recipe.
Creamy Corn Soup
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. frozen corn kernels
- 4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped chives for garnish
- Measure out the yogurt and leave it on the counter to warm up a bit.
- In a large, deep saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add the corn and sauté, stirring, until no longer frozen, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the Greek yogurt with the remaining teaspoon of kosher salt. Make sure you use Kosher salt, or decrease the salt to 1 teaspoon total to avoid a a too salty soup.
- Transfer the corn soup to your food processor in several batches and puree, reserving 1 cup not pureed to allow for a slightly chunky texture. You can also puree the corn soup using an immersion blender.
- Transfer the pureed corn soup back to the pot. Heat over medium heat until heated through.
- Off heat, whisk in the yogurt. Divide among six bowls, garnish with chives and serve.