This very flavorful oven baked chorizo frittata is paleo and keto. It’s super easy to make and very tasty!
This very flavorful oven baked chorizo frittata is perfect for brunch. It’s not just tasty, but also healthy, paleo, and keto.
Perfect for brunch
I host for brunch quite often. Alongside somewhat-healthy baked goods (such as paleo banana bread) I like to give people the option of something truly healthy and low carb.
Frittatas are perfect. They are healthy, delicious, easy – and you can make them ahead and keep in a warm oven (unlike chorizo omelet, for example). Or even make them the day before and warm up in a low oven the next day.
In fact, this chorizo frittata is excellent even straight out of the fridge, although I do heat it up for my guests.
How to make chorizo frittata
Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. It’s a very easy recipe. It does require the extra step of sautéing the onion and the chorizo prior to baking, but the result is well worth it – this chorizo frittata is just bursting with flavor! After sauteing onion and chorizo, you mix them with eggs, spices and shredded cheddar, then bake until puffed and set.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. Eggs are very nutritious, onion is a good source of antioxidants, and cheese, for most healthy people, is harmless. As for the chorizo, make sure to choose one that has a clean ingredients list. I like the Palacios brand. The only ingredients in their spicy chorizo are pork, hot paprika, salt, and garlic. While fresh meat it always a better choice than processed meat, I think that this particular brand is a decent choice.
What about leftovers?
Once completely cool, you can keep leftovers of this chorizo frittata in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers gently, in the microwave on 50% power, 10 seconds per slice.
More tasty frittata recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (8 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 oz Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced, then cubed
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch nonstick, oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the chorizo, lower heat to medium, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the salt and pepper. Fold in the cheddar.
- Pour the egg mixture over the onion-chorizo mixture. Gently mix with a heat-resistant spatula, to evenly distribute the onions and chorizo pieces.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until the chorizo frittata is puffed and set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Place the skillet on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Run a spatula along the sides to loosen, then invert the frittata onto a cutting board and back to the cooling rack.
- Allow the chorizo frittata to rest 5 more minutes before cutting and serving.