This very flavorful oven baked chorizo frittata is keto and low carb. It’s super easy to make and very tasty!
This very flavorful oven baked chorizo frittata is perfect for brunch. It’s not just tasty, but also very healthy, keto and low carb.
I host for brunch quite often. Alongside somewhat-healthy baked goods (such as paleo banana bread) I like to give people the option of something truly healthy and low carb.
Frittatas are perfect. They are healthy, delicious, easy – and you can make them ahead and keep in a warm oven (unlike chorizo omelette, for example). Or even make them the day before and warm up in a low oven the next day.
In fact, this chorizo frittata is excellent even straight out of the fridge, although I do warm it up for my guests.
It requires the extra step of sautéing the onion and the chorizo prior to baking, but the result is well worth it – this chorizo frittata is just bursting with flavor!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (8 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 oz Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced, then cubed
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch nonstick, oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the chorizo, lower heat to medium, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the salt and pepper. Fold in the cheddar.
- Pour the egg mixture over the onion-chorizo mixture. Gently mix with a heat-resistant spatula, to evenly distribute the onions and chorizo pieces.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until the chorizo frittata is puffed and set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Place the skillet on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Run a spatula along the sides to loosen, then invert the frittata onto a cutting board and back to the cooling rack.
- Allow the chorizo frittata to rest 5 more minutes before cutting and serving.