Chocolate banana pudding made with just three wholesome ingredients. Creamy, delicious and very easy to make in your food processor.
This recipe was a happy accident. I wasn’t planning on making pudding at all. I wanted to make the chocolate version of my one-ingredient banana ice cream. But the bananas were only partially frozen, and I ended up with a delicious, creamy pudding instead of ice cream.
Why I love this chocolate banana pudding
I love the simplicity of this pudding. I love that it’s made with real food and only three ingredients. It’s very easy to make in your food processor, and the only planning ahead you need is remembering to partially freeze the bananas.
This chocolate banana pudding is also a great way to use up bananas that are too ripe for anything else (paleo banana bread is another great way to do that).
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty and healthy dessert. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Vanilla or almond extract
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
How to make a healthy chocolate banana pudding
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The basics:
- You partially freeze banana slices (just for an hour).
- Then process them in your food processor with almond or vanilla extract and cocoa powder. That’s it!
I tried making this pudding without freezing the bananas. But the texture is not as good – it’s heavier and more watery. So I do recommend partially freezing the bananas for this recipe.
And for the same reason, I don’t recommend this as a make-ahead recipe. I think you should serve it right after you make it.
Is this a healthy recipe?
However, this is obviously not a low carb recipe. If you’d like to try a low carb version, I recommend this wonderful recipe for keto chocolate pudding.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Chocolate Banana Pudding
- 6 (3.5 oz each) medium bananas, very ripe, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place the banana slices on a wax-paper-lined baking sheet or platter. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Place the partially frozen bananas in your food processor. Add the vanilla or almond extract. Process until very smooth, 1-2 minutes (depending on how powerful your food processor is), scraping the sides and bottom with a spatula as needed.
- Add the cocoa powder.
- Process until fluffy and creamy, about 1 more minute, scraping the sides with a spatula as needed. Serve immediately.