A super easy recipe for a two-ingredient chocolate banana ice cream. Creamy, delicious, healthy and paleo!
Ripe bananas and high-quality cocoa powder are all you need to make your own paleo healthy chocolate banana ice cream. It’s so easy to mix this delicious ice cream in your food processor, and the flavor and texture are incredible.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need TWO ingredients to make this tasty treat! The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Fresh ripe bananas.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder.
How to make chocolate banana ice cream
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Slice the bananas and freeze.
- Process them in your food processor.
- Add the cocoa powder and process until smooth.
Does it taste like the real thing?
Almost. The addition of cocoa powder actually improves its texture, making it closer to real ice cream than the original banana ice cream recipe which only uses ripe bananas. So it really does have the mouthfeel of true ice cream, which I find incredible.
Does chocolate banana ice cream taste like bananas?
Not really, which is part of its charm. Pure banana ice cream does taste a lot like a banana, of course. Although it’s an improved banana – creamier and tastier.
But if you dislike bananas, you are not going to like classic banana ice cream. However, you just might like this recipe. The cocoa makes a big difference.
Use ripe bananas
It’s important to use very ripe bananas in this recipe, to achieve a truly creamy ice cream texture. Underripe bananas will simply not work here.
So finally you can put those overripe bananas to good use, and not just in banana bread! And if you use very ripe bananas, there’s absolutely no need for an added sweetener, even though unsweetened cocoa is quite bitter.
How long should I freeze the bananas?
Freeze them for 3 hours. If you don’t freeze them long enough, you will end up with chocolate banana pudding. Delicious, but not ice cream!
Is chocolate banana ice cream healthy?
Although this recipe is not low in carbs, I do feel good about serving it to the kiddos, because it’s so wholesome. Bananas are very healthy and so is cocoa. I too indulge whenever I make it, but I take just a few delicious bites.
Having said that, if you need to eat a low carb diet, then this recipe is sadly not for you. Perhaps you could try this keto chocolate frozen yogurt instead.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- 2 medium bananas, very ripe, 3.5 oz each when peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Peel and slice the bananas. Place the slices on a wax-paper-lined platter and freeze for 3 hours.
- Transfer the frozen banana slices to your food processor. Process until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the cocoa powder and process to combine.
- Serve the chocolate banana ice cream immediately as soft-serve ice cream, or freeze it for a few hours or overnight for a firmer texture. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.