Meaty, flavorful cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms are roasted in olive oil, then filled with cheese and heated until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
There’s no need to give up on cheesy delights when going on a low carb diet! This easy dish of cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms is low carb, keto, and delicious!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- Spices: garlic powder and cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar
How to make cheese-stuffed portobello mushrooms
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Oil and season the mushrooms and broil them until tender.
- Drain as needed.
- Stuff them with the cheese, and broil briefly, just to melt the cheese.
How to serve them
They make a delightful brunch dish. They are also excellent as a meatless dinner, accompanied by a green vegetable (such as roasted asparagus).
Or you can serve them as a side to any meat. They are versatile, quick and tasty!
Portobello mushrooms are tasty and healthy
I really like portobello mushrooms. I love mushrooms in general, and consider them very healthy.
But there’s something special about portobello mushrooms. They are big, fleshy and so very flavorful. And this particular recipe is especially pleasing!
What cheese to use for stuffing the mushrooms?
You can use any melty cheese. I like to use sharp cheddar. But you can also use mozzarella, gouda, provolone or gruyere. Sometimes I use smoked cheddar, to add an interesting layer of flavor to this dish.
And speaking of cheese, did you know that current research says that cheese is harmless for healthy people? If you’re a cheese lover like I am, I’m sure you’re delighted too!
Can you keep leftovers?
Yes. You can keep them in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 2-3 days. Place them on paper towels to absorb extra moisture, and replace the paper towels daily.
You can reheat cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms in the microwave, on 50% power.
More portobello mushroom recipes that you might enjoy
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- Heat broiler on high. Set an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a broiler-safe rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly grease the foil.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel. Gently twist off or the stem of each mushroom. Holding each mushroom in one hand, use a spoon to gently scrape out the gills.
- Spray the mushrooms with olive oil all over. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Place the mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet. Broil them 5 minutes per side, until just tender.
- Drain, then place gill side down on paper towels for 10 minutes to drain completely.
- Fill the mushrooms with cheese. Broil just until cheese is melted, directly beneath the heat element, 1-2 minutes.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes on paper towels, then serve.