A delicious and super easy chana masala recipe is ready fast while retaining the deep, complex flavors of the original dish.
This easy chana masala recipe is ready in just 30 minutes. It’s my oldest daughter’s favorite lunch. I pack it in her lunchbox in a thermos at least twice a week, and she never tires of it!
What is chana masala?
A popular Indian dish, chana masala is a savory, flavorful stew of chickpeas and onions, slowly cooked and flavored with a long list of Indian spices.
How to make easy chana masala
I’m a lazy cook. So to make things easier, I use canned chickpeas and a spice mix that I get on Amazon (link provided in the recipe card below). And despite these shortcuts, and even though this dish is ready super fast, it’s delicious!
How to serve chana masala
I usually serve it over rice, especially when I make it for my growing, active kids. But sometimes, when I want to minimize the carb impact, I use cauliflower rice, which is also excellent.
Is this a healthy recipe?
That would depend on how you define “healthy.” This recipe is not paleo and it’s not low carb. However, chickpeas are very healthy. So if you don’t need to be on a low-carb diet, I think you can enjoy this easy chana masala in moderation.
What about leftovers?
One of the best things about this easy chana masala recipe: leftovers keep really well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 4-5 days. In fact, this is one of those dishes that gets even better after a day or two. I reheat the leftovers covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty chickpea recipes
- In a small bowl, mix together the chana masala spice mix, garam masala, and kosher salt. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook until soft and golden, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Add the spices. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Add the water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the liquid reduces by half and chickpeas are soft.
- Serve the easy chana masala immediately. Delicious!