A delicious and super easy chana masala recipe is ready fast, while retaining the deep, complex flavors of the original dish.
This easy chana masala recipe is ready in just 30 minutes. A popular Indian dish, chana masala is a savory, flavorful stew of chickpeas and onions, flavored with a long list of spices.
To make things easier, I use canned chickpeas and a chana masala spice mix that I get on Amazon.
Even though this dish is ready super fast, it’s delicious. I usually serve it over rice, but sometimes, when I want to minimize the carb impact, I use cauliflower rice, which is also excellent.
My kids love this easy chana masala in their lunchboxes. One of the best things about this recipe: leftovers keep really well in the fridge for several days. In fact, this is one of those dishes that gets even better after a day or two.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chana masala spice mix, garam masala and kosher salt. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook until soft and golden, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Add the spices. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Add the water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the liquid reduces by half and chickpeas are soft.
- Serve the easy chana masala immediately. Delicious!