These delicious cauliflower fritters are fried in olive oil to golden, crispy perfection. They are keto and gluten-free. I add almond flour to the batter instead of all-purpose flour.
The first time I made these cauliflower fritters, The Picky Eater initially refused to touch them. “Eww! Cauliflower!” she said. Eventually, when she saw how much we all enjoyed them, she took a tentative bite. Her face lit up with surprised pleasure: “Mom, these are really good! They’re almost as good as potato latkes!”
Immediately, a new Hanukkah tradition was born. I make latkes most nights, but on one or two nights, I make these cauliflower fritters instead.
Healthy cauliflower fritters
These cauliflower fritters are gluten-free and keto. They contain no wheat flour – I use almond flour instead. As a result, they are fragile, so use care when flipping them. But they taste so good, that I think they are worth the trouble.
So, are they healthy? I think they are. Cauliflower is very healthy, and so are eggs, almond flour, and Parmesan. And the fritters are fried in healthy olive oil. It feels good to eat something so rich and decadent that is actually good for you!
How to make cauliflower fritters
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The basics are simple. Steam the cauliflower in the microwave. Mash it in the food processor with the remaining ingredients. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into hot olive oil and cook until golden-brown.
What to serve with cauliflower fritters
Since they require my full attention while I fry them, I like to serve these cauliflower fritters with an easy oven-baked main dish. So I often serve them with spicy drumsticks, with baked shrimp, or with pork roast.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftover cauliflower fritters in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power. They are also good cold!
- 1 medium head cauliflower (1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Remove the cauliflower’s outer leaves, cut into chunks and place in a colander. Rinse, then place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 10 minutes, until tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using a fork, whisk together the eggs, garlic, almond flour, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the cooked cauliflower to your food processor’s bowl. Process to mash. Add the parsley and process to incorporate. Add the egg mixture and process to combine.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Drop the cauliflower mixture into the skillet, cooking four patties at a time, using a 1/4 cup scoop to form the fritters. Gently press on the cauliflower fritters with a spatula to flatten.
- Cook until you can see that the edges of the bottom are crispy and golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Very carefully turn to the other side – fritters are fragile – and cook 3-5 more minutes, until the second side is also browned and crisp.
- Transfer the cooked cauliflower fritters to a large baking sheet and place in the oven to keep them warm while you fry three more batches, adding a tablespoon of olive oil before each batch.