If you need dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes, make this healthy sesame chicken. It’s quick, easy, and delicious. It is also low carb and gluten free.
The idea for this healthy sesame chicken recipe was born one night, thirty minutes before dinnertime, when all I had in the fridge were some chicken breasts.
Have you noticed how so many good recipes are born out of necessity (not to mention out of sheer desperation)?
At first, I wanted to make broiled chicken kabobs. When I realized that I had already served this dish a couple of days earlier, I decided to improvise and make the same dish, but with Asian flavors. The result was a huge success!
A healthier sesame chicken
Of course, this healthy sesame chicken is very different than the classic dish, which is battered, deep fried, and then covered in a sugary sauce. My version is simple, easy, and low carb. Most importantly, it’s delicious!
So if you need dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes, and have chicken breasts in the fridge, do give this broiled healthy sesame chicken a try. It’s quick, easy, and very tasty.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty dish:
- Chicken breast
- Coconut oil
- Soy sauce
- Seasonings: garlic powder and red pepper flakes
- Toppings: sesame oil and sesame seeds
How to make healthy sesame chicken
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Toss chicken breast cubes with coconut oil, soy sauce, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Skewer them on skewers.
- Broil 3-4 minutes per side.
- Drizzle with sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
What side dishes go with this recipe?
And if you feel like noodles, shirataki sesame noodles are wonderful, although not everyone can handle them, digestively speaking.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them very gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power. They are also good cold, straight out of the fridge!
Healthy Sesame Chicken
- 1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (or use a gluten-free alternative and add salt as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat your broiler on high (450 degrees F). Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and cut them into 1.5-inch cubes.
- Place the chicken cubes in a large bowl. Add the oil, soy sauce, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Toss to coat.
- Skewer the seasoned chicken cubes on skewers (I use metal skewers to avoid pre-soaking wooden skewers, but when pressed for time, I’ve been known to use wooden skewers without pre-soaking them).
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, on the top oven rack, 4 minutes. Carefully turn the skewers (use paper towels, they will be hot) and broil 3 more minutes on the second side, or until cooked through.
- Drizzle the chicken with sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.