If you need dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes, make this healthy sesame chicken. It’s quick, easy, and delicious. It is also low carb and gluten free.
The idea for this healthy sesame chicken was born one night, 30 minutes before dinnertime, when all I had in the fridge was chicken breast.
At first I wanted to make broiled chicken kabobs. When I realized that I had already served this dish a couple of days earlier, I decided to improvise and make the same dish, but with Asian flavors.
The result – broiled, healthy sesame chicken – was a huge success!
Of course, this healthy sesame chicken is very different than the classic dish, which is battered, deep fried, and then covered in a sugary sauce.
My version is simple, easy, and low carb. Most importantly, it’s delicious!
So if you need dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes, and have chicken breast in the fridge, do give this broiled healthy sesame chicken a try. It’s quick, easy, and very tasty.
What about leftovers? Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them very gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Healthy Sesame Chicken
- 1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat your broiler on high (450 degrees F). Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and cut them into 1.5-inch cubes.
- Place the chicken cubes in a large bowl. Add the oil, soy sauce, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Toss to coat.
- Skewer the seasoned chicken cubes on skewers (I use metal skewers to avoid pre-soaking wooden skewers, but when pressed for time, I've been known to use wooden skewers without pre-soaking them).
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, on the top oven rack, 4 minutes. Carefully turn the skewers (use paper towels, they will be hot) and broil 3 more minutes on the second side, or until cooked through.
- Drizzle the chicken with sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.