Breakfast stuffed peppers – a wonderful combination of roasted peppers, savory sausage filling and baked eggs. It’s the perfect low carb brunch – delicious and pretty!
Breakfast stuffed peppers, a simple, tasty dish of baked eggs and sausage in peppers, is one of my favorite brunch dishes these days. Another good one is this dish of egg stuffed tomatoes.
I love stuffed peppers. I love the taste of simple roasted bell peppers, and I especially enjoy them stuffed with all manner of deliciousness.
Back in my vegetarian days, I used to make amazing quinoa stuffed peppers. Then I moved on to these just-as-good, low carb stuffed peppers.
But this. This wonderful combination of flavorful roasted peppers, savory sausage filling and baked eggs – wow. Breakfast stuffed peppers are the perfect low carb brunch – delicious and so pretty! Definitely company worthy.
How do you make breakfast stuffed peppers?
Scroll down to the recipe card for full instructions. But basically, you brown some sausage, stuff the peppers with the sausage, then break an egg into each pepper. Season with parmesan and bake until egg whites are set.
I usually use ground pork and spices for the filling. But you can make this recipe even easier by using store-bought sausage.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it is. Peppers are very healthy, unless you’re sensitive to nightshades. Fresh unprocessed pork is quite healthy. And eggs are healthy too. Needless to say, Breakfast stuffed peppers make a wonderful keto and low carb dish.
How to serve breakfast stuffed peppers?
As their name implies, they are perfect for breakfast or brunch. But baked eggs in peppers are also great for lunch, and you can even serve them for dinner, with a simple side such as steamed broccoli.
Can I make them ahead?
You can, although upon reheating, the egg yolks will likely become fully cooked. You can make these breakfast bell peppers 2-3 days in advance and refrigerate in an airtight container. Reheat them in a 300°F oven. Or try microwaving on 50% power – but I never tried that so not sure what would happen to the egg yolks.
Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
- Olive oil spray
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling on eggs
- 8 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a rimmed baking dish with olive oil (I used two pie plates).
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove their core and ribs. Spray their bottom side with olive oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the olive oil, the ground pork and the spices. Cook, stirring to break up the pork, until no longer raw, about 3 minutes.
- Divide the pork mixture evenly between the bell pepper halves. Crack each egg into a small bowl, then slowly slide it on top of each bell pepper half. If the eggs are very large, you might want to leave some of the egg white in the bowl, as it likely won’t fit in the bell pepper.
- Sprinkle each stuffed bell pepper with paprika for color, and with Parmesan cheese. Bake until egg whites are cooked and peppers are tender, about 20 minutes. Allow to rest and slightly cool for 5 minutes before serving.