Breakfast-stuffed peppers – a wonderful combination of roasted peppers, savory sausage filling, and baked eggs. It’s the perfect keto brunch – delicious and pretty!
Breakfast-stuffed peppers, a simple, tasty dish of baked eggs and sausage in peppers, is one of my favorite brunch dishes these days. Another good one is this dish of egg stuffed tomatoes.
Stuffed peppers are so good!
I love stuffed peppers. I love the taste of simple roasted bell peppers, but I especially enjoy them stuffed with all manner of deliciousness.
Back in my vegetarian days, I used to make amazing quinoa stuffed peppers. Then I moved on to these wonderful healthy keto stuffed peppers.
But this. This wonderful combination of flavorful roasted peppers, savory sausage filling, and baked eggs – wow. This is the perfect keto brunch – delicious and so pretty. It’s definitely company-worthy.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty breakfast recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Olive oil spray and olive oil.
- Large bell peppers.
- Ground pork.
- Seasonings: Kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, and paprika.
- Large eggs.
- Grated Parmesan.
How to make breakfast-stuffed peppers
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- You brown some sausage (ground pork mixed with seasonings) in olive oil.
- Stuff the peppers with the cooked sausage.
- Then break an egg into each pepper.
- Season with parmesan and bake until the egg whites are set.
I usually use ground pork and spices for the filling. But you can make this recipe even easier (though perhaps not as healthy) by using store-bought pork sausage.
How to serve them
As their name implies, these peppers are perfect for breakfast or brunch. But they are also great for lunch. And you can even serve them for dinner, with a simple side such as steamed broccoli.
Is this a healthy recipe?
Can I make them ahead?
You can, although upon reheating, the egg yolks will likely become fully cooked. You can make breakfast-stuffed peppers 2-3 days in advance and refrigerate in an airtight container. Reheat them in a 300°F oven.
Or try microwaving them, covered, on 50% power. But I never tried that so not sure what would happen to the egg yolks! So please proceed with caution.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
- Olive oil spray
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling on eggs
- 8 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a rimmed baking dish with olive oil (I used two pie plates).
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove their core and ribs. Spray their bottom side with olive oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the olive oil, the ground pork and the spices. Cook, stirring to break up the pork, until no longer raw, about 3 minutes.
- Divide the pork mixture evenly between the bell pepper halves. Crack each egg into a small bowl, then slowly slide it on top of each bell pepper half. If the eggs are very large, you might want to leave some of the egg white in the bowl, as it likely won’t fit in the bell pepper.
- Sprinkle each stuffed bell pepper with paprika for color, and with Parmesan cheese. Bake until egg whites are cooked and peppers are tender, about 20 minutes. Allow to rest and slightly cool for 5 minutes before serving.