Tender, fluffy and just sweet enough, this delicious gluten free blueberry cake is wholesome enough to serve for breakfast!
This gluten free blueberry cake is the perfect summertime dessert. It’s fluffy, vanilla-and-lemon-scented, and not too sweet. In fact, I consider it wholesome enough to serve as an occasional breakfast.
There’s something irresistible about biting into a baked good dotted with bursting, sweet, warm blueberries.
This cake is made from almond flour (which is basically blanched ground almonds), eggs, honey (just 1/2 cup) and blueberries. These are the main ingredients. No artificial anything, no grains, no junk.
If you don’t have fresh blueberries, I’m pretty sure that frozen blueberries would work just as well. Although I haven’t tried it myself.
PS. If you’re on a low carb or keto diet, you should definitely try this amazingly fluffy low carb blueberry cake.
Gluten Free Blueberry Cake
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter for pan
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a 9-inch glass pie plate with butter.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Gradually whisk in the honey, vanilla, lemon zest, almond flour, kosher salt and baking soda.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the blueberries.
- Use the same spatula to transfer the batter onto the prepared pie plate. Once batter is in the pie plate, gently stir to distribute the blueberries evenly.
- Bake until puffy, browned and set, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack about 20 minutes, then slice and place the slices directly on the cooling rack for 10 more minutes to allow extra moisture to evaporate.
- Keep leftovers for up to a week in an airtight containers in the fridge. Place the cake slices on paper towels, to help absorb moisture and allow the cake to remain fluffy. Gently heat leftover slices in the microwave (10 seconds per slice) before serving.