An easy recipe for a delicious basil frittata. It’s excellent for brunch, and leftovers make a wonderful low carb breakfast or snack.
This simple, easy-to-make basil frittata is my favorite frittata recipe. I love making frittatas for brunch (this chorizo frittata is another one that I make quite often).
Brunch is often such a minefield of sugary refined-carb items. It’s good to have at least one reliable, tasty low carb option, and this recipe fits the bill.
What is a frittata?
A frittata is an Italian dish made of eggs and various fillings such as meats, cheeses, and vegetables.
I usually bake my frittatas in the oven, but they can also be cooked in a cast-iron skillet on the stovetop.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil for the pan
How to make basil frittata
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in chopped fresh basil leaves and grated Parmesan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on your oven) in a 400F oven. That’s it!
How to serve basil frittata
Is this a make-ahead dish?
Yes! I often make it the day before, allow it to cool, then slice and refrigerate.
The next morning, I gently reheat the slices in a low oven or in the microwave. You can also serve this frittata at room temperature, and I’ve been known to grab a slice and eat it cold – excellent too!
But is this a healthy recipe? So many eggs!
What if I have leftover basil frittata?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. They make a great quick breakfast or snack. I love to snack on them cold! But you can also reheat them covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for pan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a 9-inch baking dish in the oven.
- Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, salt, and pepper. Add the basil and cheese and mix well.
- Carefully remove the hot baking dish from the oven. Brush it with olive oil. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish.
- Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until golden brown and puffy and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 20-30 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes on a cooling rack, then cut into 8 triangles and serve.