Frozen banana ice cream is like magic – frozen bananas are processed in your food processor and, two minutes later, turn into creamy, delicious ice cream!
I love this frozen banana ice cream. It’s amazing to me, how easy and simple this recipe is. All you need is frozen ripe bananas and a food processor. Nothing else! And the banana ice cream is superb. So creamy and delicious.
Does it taste like a banana?
Yes and no. It’s interesting that this frozen banana ice cream is basically like eating a banana, yet the experience is so different. One of my kids can’t stand bananas. But she happily east this frozen banana ice cream, even though it obviously tastes like banana.
It’s probably the combination of it looking like ice cream, the different texture. And also the fact that when frozen, ripe bananas taste milder than when at room temperature.
Should I add a sweetener to frozen banana ice cream?
There’s absolutely no need to add anything else to this frozen banana ice cream, certainly no sweeteners. If you use ripe bananas, the ice cream will be very sweet.
I know that there are recipes out there that tell you to add a sweetener to frozen banana ice cream. But I implore you to give it a try with just ripe bananas and no added sugars. I’m pretty sure you’ll agree that this ice cream is perfect with just one ingredient.
Optional addition: cocoa powder
Sometimes I like to add unsweetened cocoa when blending this ice cream, to make chocolate banana ice cream. And even with the addition of unsweetened cocoa powder, if the bananas are truly ripe, they are sweet enough and you don’t need any added sweeteners.
Does it taste like real ice cream?
No. This is a non-dairy ice cream that contains no heavy cream, and definitely no stabilizers and emulsifiers. So it’s different than commercial ice cream in terms of flavor and texture. BUT it is a very good, just-sweet-enough frozen dessert, and a great way to use too-ripe bananas (this paleo banana bread is another one).
Is this a healthy recipe?
It’s not low in carbs. But if you don’t need to eat a low carb diet, then I do believe this is a healthy recipe. You’re basically eating a banana, and bananas have many health benefits.
Frozen Banana Ice Cream
- 2 medium very ripe bananas (4 oz each, peeled)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, optional
- Peel and slice the bananas. Place the slices on a wax-paper-lined platter and freeze for 3 hours.
- Transfer the frozen banana slices to your food processor. Process until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. They'll be grainy at first, then magically transform into ice cream.
- If you wish, add cocoa and process to combine.
- Serve immediately as soft-serve ice cream, or freeze for 1-2 hours for a firmer texture. Remove the frozen banana ice cream from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.