These healthy paleo baked sweet potato fries are delicious, easy to make, and a healthier choice than regular potato fries.
These baked sweet potato fries are so good. While my husband and I only taste them (they’re a bit too high carb for us), my kids love them and ask for them often.
How to make baked sweet potato fries
It’s so easy! Of course, the easiest sweet potato recipe is microwave sweet potatoes. But this one is very easy too. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The basics: you simply cut the sweet potatoes into fries, coat in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then bake in a hot oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
Can you make them crispy?
Baked sweet potato fries are delicious, but it’s difficult to make them crispy. Sweet potatoes tend to become soft when baked, even in a hot oven. It does help to cut them into relatively thin fries, be generous with the oil, and bake in a hot oven. But they won’t be as crispy as regular oven fries.
Are sweet potato fries healthier than regular fries?
Not necessarily. While sweet potatoes are higher in vitamin A and in fiber, white potatoes are high in potassium and in protein. However, sweet potatoes are lower on the glycemic index. And they are also rich in antioxidants. So it’s possible that they do have a certain advantage over white potatoes, making these baked sweet potato fries a better choice than white potato fries.
What to serve with baked sweet potato fries?
It’s such a versatile side dish that goes with almost anything. But since I bake them in a 425°F oven, I like to serve them with a main dish that I can cook in the same oven. So I often serve baked sweet potato fries with baked salmon or with baked chicken legs.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of these baked sweet potato fries in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, unpeeled (2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half in two, and then cut each quarter into 1/4-inch-thick fries. Pat dry the fries using paper towels.
- Place the fries in the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and use your hands to coat, then arrange the fries in a single layer on the baking sheet, not touching each other.
- Sprinkle the sweet potato fries with kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bake until tender and browned in spots, about 10 minutes per side.