A ridiculously easy recipe for baked eggs in tomato sauce. Perfect for brunch, and also for those weeknight dinners when you’re staring at an empty fridge!
I love serving these baked eggs in tomato sauce for brunch. They are not only delicious, filling and easy to make – they are also very pretty! My guests always rave about them.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need four ingredients to make this tasty dish:
- Marinara sauce
- Black pepper
How to make baked eggs in tomato sauce
This is a super easy recipe. So easy, it’s embarrassing! Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. The basic steps:
- Pour some prepared marinara sauce into ramekins.
- Break an egg into each ramekin.
- Season and bake.
How to serve baked eggs in tomato sauce
Obviously, this dish practically begs to be served with some fresh, crusty bread. My kids and my guests eat it this way.
But my husband and I are on a low carb diet. So we like to eat this dish with thick slices of almond flour bread or with these keto cheese muffins. Another tasty option is to dip broccoli or cauliflower florets in the runny yolks.
You can serve them for brunch or for dinner
Baked eggs in tomato sauce is a classic brunch recipe. But I often make it for dinner when I’m out of ideas or when the fridge is empty. I might be out of meat, but I’m never out of eggs, and there’s always some marinara sauce in the pantry.
Is this like shakshuka?
The idea is very similar, but the cooking method is different. And it’s also a much easier recipe! Instead of poaching the eggs in a homemade sauce, in this recipe, we bake them in a prepared sauce. So it’s simpler and easier, although shakshuka is admittedly more flavorful.
I do tend to make this recipe more often, simply because it requires so little work. I’m a lazy cook. 🙂
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe that baked eggs in tomato sauce are indeed healthy. Eggs are very nutritious, cheese is harmless for most healthy people, and tomato products are a rich source of the antioxidant lycopene. If you add a green vegetable, you got yourself a truly healthy meal.
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I use Rao’s)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place four shallow individual baking dishes (such as these) on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Divide the tomato sauce among the baking dishes.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and then slip into each baking dish.
- Sprinkle the eggs with Parmesan and black pepper.
- Bake until the egg whites are cooked, 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.