A ridiculously easy recipe for baked eggs in tomato sauce. Perfect for brunch, and also for those weeknight dinners when you’re staring at an empty fridge!
I love serving these baked eggs for brunch. They are not only delicious, filling and easy to make – they are also very pretty! My guests always rave about them.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need four ingredients to make this tasty dish. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Marinara sauce (I like to use Rao’s, which has no added sugar)
- Grated Parmesan
- Black pepper
How to make baked eggs in tomato sauce
This is a super easy recipe. So easy, it’s embarrassing! Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. The basic steps:
- Pour some prepared marinara sauce into ramekins.
- Break an egg into each ramekin.
- Season and bake.
How to serve this dish
Obviously, this dish practically begs to be served with some fresh, crusty bread. My kids and my guests eat it this way.
Another tasty option is to dip broccoli or cauliflower florets in the runny yolks or to use homemade pork rinds.
You can serve baked eggs for brunch or for dinner
This is obviously a classic brunch recipe. But I often make it for dinner when I’m out of ideas or when the fridge is empty.
I might be out of meat, but I’m never out of eggs. And there’s always some marinara sauce in the pantry.
How is this different than shakshuka?
The idea is very similar, but the cooking method is different. And it’s also a much easier recipe!
When you make shakshuka, you poach the eggs in a homemade sauce. Whereas in this recipe, you bake them in a store-bought marinara sauce.
So it’s simpler and easier, although shakshuka is admittedly more flavorful. I do tend to make this recipe more often, simply because it requires so little work. I’m a lazy cook!
Is it a healthy recipe?
If you add a green vegetable, you got yourself a truly healthy – and colorful – meal.
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I use Rao’s)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place four shallow individual baking dishes (such as these) on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Divide the tomato sauce among the baking dishes.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and then slip into each baking dish.
- Sprinkle the eggs with Parmesan and black pepper.
- Bake until the egg whites are cooked, 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.