A simple dish of baked eggs and mushrooms is earthy and flavorful. Perfect for brunch, it is also excellent as a tasty and filling meatless dinner.
I love having baked eggs and mushrooms for brunch. It’s such a wonderfully flavorful dish. The combination of the earthy, well-seasoned mushrooms and the rich, creamy egg is amazing.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty dish:
- Olive oil
- Sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan
- Chopped parsley
How to make baked eggs and mushrooms
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s an easy recipe! Here are the basic steps:
- Cook the mushrooms in olive oil.
- Divide them between two small baking dishes.
- Top with eggs and a little Parmesan.
- Bake until the egg whites are set.
How to serve baked eggs and mushrooms
Before my low carb days, I would feel that a dish like this one must be eaten with crusty bread. Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m sure this dish would be lovely with bread.
But as my body doesn’t function too well on a high gluten, high-carb diet, I have found that gently breaking the yolks and mixing them into the mushrooms creates the creamiest, yummiest sauce – no need for bread!
Baked eggs and mushrooms are an obvious choice for brunch, but this dish is substantial and filling enough for a meatless dinner, especially when served with a side – I often serve it with a simple green salad or with a cherry tomato salad.
Is this a healthy recipe?
More tasty mushroom recipes
Baked Eggs and Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease two small, flat gratin dishes (mine hold 1 cup and measure 4 X 6 inches).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, the mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms have released their liquids and are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift the mushrooms from the skillet and divide them evenly among the prepared baking dishes.
- Break two eggs on top of each baking dish. Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining salt and pepper, and with Parmesan. Bake 10-12 minutes for cooked whites and semi-soft yolks. Garnish with parsley and serve.