A simple dish of baked eggs and mushrooms is earthy and flavorful. Perfect for brunch, it is also excellent as a tasty and filling meatless dinner.
I love having baked eggs and mushrooms for brunch. It’s such a wonderfully flavorful dish. The combination of the earthy, well-seasoned mushrooms and the rich, creamy egg is amazing.
How to make baked eggs and mushrooms
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s an easy recipe! Cook the mushrooms in olive oil. Divide them between two small baking dishes. Top with eggs and a little Parmesan, and bake until the egg whites are set.
How to serve baked eggs and mushrooms
Before my low carb days, I would feel that baked eggs and mushrooms must be eaten with crusty bread. Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m sure this dish would be lovely with bread. But as my body doesn’t function too well on a high gluten, high-carb diet, I have found that gently breaking the yolks and mixing them into the mushrooms creates the creamiest, yummiest sauce – no need for bread!
Baked eggs and mushrooms are an obvious choice for brunch, but this dish is substantial and filling enough for a meatless dinner, especially when served with a side – I often serve it with a simple green salad or with a cherry tomato salad.
Is this a healthy recipe?
More tasty mushroom recipes
Baked Eggs and Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease two small, flat gratin dishes (mine hold 1 cup and measure 4 X 6 inches).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, the mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms have released their liquids and are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift the mushrooms from the skillet and divide them evenly among the prepared baking dishes.
- Break two eggs on top of each baking dish. Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining salt and pepper, and with Parmesan. Bake 10-12 minutes for cooked whites and semi-soft yolks. Garnish with parsley and serve.