While they cannot be classified as health food, bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks are low carb, gluten free and delicious.
Before anyone objects, let me readily acknowledge that bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks are not exactly health food. Mozzarella is fine – full fat dairy may actually have health benefits. But processed meat is probably unhealthy, especially if eaten regularly or in large quantities.
However, bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks do have a few things going for them. They are keto and low carb, gluten free, and (this probably goes without saying) absolutely delicious.
So here’s what I suggest. If you’d like to try this recipe, use organic uncured bacon, and make it only once in awhile rather than on a daily basis. Serve some fresh cut veggies alongside the bacon wrapped mozzarella, perhaps with a healthy tahini dip. And all should be well.
Bacon sure makes everything taste better. And another party snack that tastes great when wrapped in bacon is dates. It’s high in carbs. But the combination of sweet gooey dates and warm crispy bacon is amazing. Here’s my recipe for bacon wrapped dates.
Bacon Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 part-skim mozzarella sticks, cut in half crosswise
- 12 slices uncured bacon
- Remove the cheese wrappers. Place the cheese sticks on a wax-paper-lined tray and freeze for at least four hours. I froze them overnight, the night before I made them.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Partially cook the bacon: place two paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Place four slices of bacon on top. Cover the bacon with two more paper towels (to prevent splatters). Microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining slices. This renders some of the fat and will help the bacon crisp up faster, preventing the cheese from melting away during prolonged baking.
- Wrap each half mozzarella stick with a slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick.
- Place the wrapped cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until cheese just starts to melt, 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately.