While they cannot be classified as health food, bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks are keto, low carb, gluten free and delicious.
These bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks are amazing. The combination of the flavorful bacon and the slightly melted cheese is phenomenal. They make a great party appetizer and are just perfect for game day.
You call this a healthy recipe? Seriously?
I do acknowledge that bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks are not exactly health food. Mozzarella is fine – full-fat dairy may actually have health benefits. But processed meat is probably unhealthy, especially if eaten regularly or in large quantities (though one should realize that the absolute risk is still very small).
However, bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks do have a few things going for them. They are keto and low carb, they are gluten-free, and (this probably goes without saying) they are absolutely delicious.
So here’s what I suggest. If you’d like to try this recipe, use organic uncured bacon, and make it only once in a while rather than on a daily basis. Serve some fresh cut veggies alongside the bacon wrapped mozzarella, perhaps with a healthy tahini dip or Greek yogurt ranch. And all should be well.
Can you store leftovers of these bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks?
Not really. This is one of those dishes that you should really eat right away. But if you must, you can store the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. You’ll probably need to eat them cold (they’re actually pretty good that way!) because reheating them will melt the cheese.
More tasty bacon-wrapped recipes that you might enjoy
Bacon sure makes everything taste better. And another party snack that tastes great when wrapped in bacon is Medjool dates. It’s high in carbs, but the combination of sweet gooey dates and warm crispy bacon is amazing.
Bacon Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 part-skim mozzarella sticks, cut in half crosswise
- 12 slices uncured bacon
- Remove the cheese wrappers. Place the cheese sticks on a wax-paper-lined tray and freeze for at least four hours. I froze them overnight, the night before I made them.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Partially cook the bacon: place two paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Place four slices of bacon on top. Cover the bacon with two more paper towels (to prevent splatters). Microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining slices. This renders some of the fat and will help the bacon crisp up faster, preventing the cheese from melting away during prolonged baking.
- Wrap each half mozzarella stick with a slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick.
- Place the wrapped cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until cheese just starts to melt, 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately.