Bacon-wrapped keto mozzarella sticks are amazing. They are delicious, decadent, and surprisingly easy to make.
These keto mozzarella sticks are amazing. The combination of the flavorful bacon and the slightly melted cheese is phenomenal. They make a great party appetizer and are just perfect for game day. Plus, they are very easy to make!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need two ingredients to make this tasty keto snack. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Mozzarella sticks: I once accidentally used low-fat cheese sticks when making this recipe and it just wasn’t the same. So stick with regular cheese sticks – even those are made with part-skim mozzarella, so there’s no need to go even lower fat than that.
- Bacon slices: The best slices for this recipe are medium-cut. Don’t use thick-cut bacon here.
How to make keto mozzarella sticks
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Freeze the cheese. You do need to remember to freeze the cheese in advance. Otherwise, it will completely melt when you try to bake it (unlike halloumi cheese which stays intact) and you’ll just end up with a sticky mess in your oven.
- Par cook the bacon. To make sure the bacon ends up fully cooked (since the cheese can’t stay in the oven for too long), you should partially cook it. I do it in the microwave, which works very well. I actually often make microwave bacon!
- Wrap. Now take your frozen cheese sticks and wrap them with the partially-cooked bacon strips.
- Bake. The last step is to briefly bake the sticks – just 5 minutes at 400°F.
Isn’t bacon unhealthy?
Processed meats have been linked to disease. And while the absolute risk is quite small, I don’t think we should ignore it. My own personal choice is to consume processed meats in moderation. This recipe is certainly a once in a while indulgence in our household rather than a regular affair.
Can you store the leftovers?
Not really. Keto mozzarella sticks are one of those dishes that you should really eat right away. But if you must, you can store the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days.
You’ll probably need to eat them cold (they’re actually pretty good that way!) because reheating them will melt the cheese.
More tasty bacon-wrapped recipes that you might enjoy
Bacon sure makes everything taste better. Another party snack that I love is bacon-wrapped dates. It’s high in carbs, but the combination of sweet gooey dates and warm crispy bacon is amazing.
And these bacon wrapped mini meatloaves are another fun party appetizer, or you can serve them as a main course with a vegetable on the side.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 part-skim mozzarella sticks, cut in half crosswise
- 12 slices uncured bacon
- Remove the cheese wrappers. Place the cheese sticks on a wax-paper-lined tray and freeze for at least four hours. I froze them overnight, the night before I made them.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Partially cook the bacon: place two paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Place four slices of bacon on top. Cover the bacon with two more paper towels (to prevent splatters). Microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining slices. This renders some of the fat and will help the bacon crisp up faster, preventing the cheese from melting away during prolonged baking.
- Wrap each half mozzarella stick with a slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick.
- Place the wrapped cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until cheese just starts to melt, 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately.