Tasty, savory bacon cheese balls are an easy make-ahead party snack or appetizer. They are keto and low carb too!
These delicious bacon cheese balls are the perfect keto party snack or appetizer! Think about it. Bacon and cheese… how could you possibly go wrong?
The search for low carb keto appetizers
Whenever I host a dinner party, I start by serving cocktails and appetizers. It’s a nice way to get everyone relaxed and break the ice. After a cocktail or two, everyone is happy and the conversation flows. That’s when we move to the dining room for the main meal.
I keep the cocktails low carb and simple. Usually vodka soda, with either club soda or flavored Perrier.
Appetizers can be as simple as a platter of aged cheeses, cured meats and cut up veggies with a homemade ranch dip.
These bacon cheese balls are another delicious appetizer that I love serving. They are very easy to make. And another important advantage is that they are served at room temperature, so you don’t need to worry about keeping them warm.
The ingredients used in this recipe
You’ll only need three ingredients to make this tasty appetizer:
- Shredded sharp cheddar: I like to use extra-sharp cheddar, it’s so wonderfully flavorful.
- Dijon mustard: It’s creamier and not as vinegary as yellow mustard.
- Bacon bits: I use store-bought bacon bits.
How to make bacon cheese balls
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Mix together the cheddar and mustard.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into 12 balls.
- Roll each ball in the bacon bits.
- Place on wax paper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Isn’t bacon unhealthy?
My own personal choice is to consume processed meats, including bacon, in moderation. So I enjoy these tasty appetizers only once in a while. They should probably not be a staple of anyone’s diet. But you knew that already, didn’t you? 🙂
What to do with leftovers of these bacon cheese balls?
If you have any leftovers, they keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Do take them out of the fridge 15 minutes before enjoying them.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Bacon Cheese Balls
- 1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup bacon bits (2 oz)
- In a small bowl, use a rubber spatula to mix together the cheddar and mustard.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into 12 balls. This part is messy, and a bit of a challenge, as the balls tend to fall apart at first. But don’t give up – keep rolling and shaping them, then roll each ball in the bacon bits.
- Place the bacon cheese balls on wax paper and refrigerate until ready to serve, or serve immediately.