Healthy applesauce muffins are made with coconut flour. They are sugar-free, gluten free, low carb and delicious!
I was set on baking healthy applesauce muffins, and after several attempts, I have finally succeeded! These tasty and healthy muffins are made with coconut flour. They are low carb, gluten-free and sugar-free.
What ingredients are used in this recipe?
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this recipe:
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Unsalted butter, melted
- Sweetener (I use stevia glycerine)
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
How to make healthy applesauce muffins
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Whisk together the eggs, applesauce, butter, stevia, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.
- Whisk in the coconut flour and baking powder.
- Divide the batter between lined and greased muffin cups.
- bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
How to sweeten healthy applesauce muffins
I sweeten them with a small amount of stevia, which I believe is safe. I like stevia glycerite because it lacks the bitter aftertaste typical to stevia.
You could probably replace the stevia with 1/2 cup of a granulated sweetener such as coconut sugar or a low carb sweetener. Although I haven’t actually tried that.
Can I skip the butter?
The fat – melted butter or oil – is indeed optional. I made these muffins both ways – in fact, the video shows me making them with no fat in the batter. However, I do like these applesauce muffins much better with the fat. It improves their flavor and texture. The nutritional info below does include 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
Are they as good as wheat flour muffins?
No. Don’t expect the texture of wheat flour muffins. Like most coconut flour baked goods (these gluten-free pumpkin muffins are a good example), the texture of these healthy applesauce muffins is a little spongy.
Nevertheless, they are delicious. I like to spread them with a little sweet butter and enjoy them for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Bliss!
What makes them healthy?
I believe that these healthy applesauce muffins are a better choice than regular wheat muffins for several reasons. They are free of refined carbs and of wheat. They are relatively low in carbs. And they are high in fiber.
How long can I keep these healthy applesauce muffins?
You can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Healthy Applesauce Muffins
- Avocado oil spray for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon stevia glycerite (equals 1/2 cup sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (56 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 6 muffin cups with liners and spray the liners with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, butter, stevia, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
- Whisk in the coconut flour and baking powder. Batter will be thick.
- Using a 4-tablespoon scoop, divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- bake until set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack before enjoying.