Healthy applesauce muffins are made with coconut flour. They are sugar free, gluten free, low carb and delicious!
I was set on baking healthy applesauce muffins, and I succeeded! These tasty applesauce muffins are made with coconut flour. They are low carb, gluten free and sugar free.
I sweeten these muffins with a small amount of stevia, which I believe is safe. I like stevia glycerite because it lacks the bitter aftertaste typical to stevia.
You could probably replace the stevia with 1/2 cup of a granulated sweetener such as coconut sugar or a low carb sweetener. Although I haven’t actually tried that.
These healthy applesauce muffins keep in the fridge for 2-3 days and can also be successfully frozen.
The fat – melted butter or oil – is optional. I made these muffins both ways – in fact the video shows me making them with no fat in the batter. However, I do like these applesauce muffins better with the fat. It improves the flavor and the texture. The nutritional info below includes 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
Don’t expect the texture of wheat flour muffins though. Like most coconut flour baked goods (these gluten free pumpkin muffins are a good example), the texture of these healthy applesauce muffins is a little spongy.
Nevertheless, they are delicious. I like to spread them with a little sweet butter and enjoy them for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Bliss!
Healthy Applesauce Muffins
- Avocado oil spray for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon stevia glycerite*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (56 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 6 muffin cups with liners and spray the liners with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, butter, stevia, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
- Whisk in the coconut flour and baking powder. Batter will be thick.
- Using a 4-tablespoon scoop, divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- bake until set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack before enjoying.