Wonderfully tender-crisp and well seasoned, these Chinese green beans are one of my favorite side dishes.
The secret to delicious Chinese green beans is sautéing them until tender-crisp and not a second longer. The tasty sauce – garlic, ginger, soy sauce and honey – is super flavorful.
Some recipes for Chinese green beans will instruct you to parboil the green beans prior to sautéing them. I lack the patience for that. I much prefer the method of simply adding a small amount of water to the pan after sautéing the green beans. One-step cooking is always better than two -step cooking, and washing one pot is preferable to washing two!
You don’t have to serve these green beans with a Chinese-style main dish. They are wonderful with any meat or fish. They are also very nice alongside fried eggs.
Chinese Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the green beans. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry 1 more minute.
- Add the soy sauce and honey. Stir-fry 2 more minutes
- Add the water. Cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Drizzle the Chinese green beans with sesame oil, garnish with sesame seeds and serve.