Low carb avocado toast is delicious, filling and very versatile – enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, snack or even dinner.
My teenage kids tell me that avocado toast is the invention of millennials. Perhaps, but even midlife palettes find it quite delicious.
But can you create a keto, low carb avocado toast? Wondered my husband. Challenge accepted! I used my trusted recipe for 90-second bread. It’s a super quick bread that you quickly mix in a bowl, then microwave for 90 seconds. After toasting it in a greased skillet, it’s delicious, and can be used as the perfect low carb base for avocado toast.
To make my life easy, I used store bought guacamole when making this low carb avocado toast, but you can certainly mash fresh ripe avocado with some seasonings if you prefer, or simply slice the avocado and season with salt and pepper.
Low carb avocado toast is perfect anytime – it makes a tasty, filling breakfast, a wonderful snack, or make two of them for a meatless dinner.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder*
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup prepared guacamole, or mashed avocado with a dash of salt and pepper
- Make the bread: place a tablespoon of butter in a microwave safe cereal bowl (bottom should measure about 3 inches). Microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Allow to slightly cool. Using a fork, mix in one egg, 1 tablespoon coconut flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder if you wish). Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Allow to slightly cool, then carefully slice into two slices.
- Cook the eggs and toast the bread: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Break two egg into the skillet (use greased round egg molds if you want a round shape). Cook until done to your liking. Add the two slices of bread as well, lightly browning them on each side.
- Assemble the avocado toast: Place the two slices of bread on a plate. Top each slice with 1/4 cup mashed avocado and a fried egg. Serve immediately.
*If you need this recipe to be strictly gluten free, use gluten free baking powder.