Healthy deviled eggs are made with thick, creamy Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. They are well seasoned, mildly spicy, creamy and delicious!
These healthy deviled eggs are made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo.
I do believe deviled eggs are generally healthy. Eggs are very nutritious, and deviled eggs are low carb.
But when deviled eggs are made with standard mayonnaise, they’re not as healthy, because mayonnaise is generally made with highly processed, easily oxidized, unhealthy seed oils.
One way around this issue is to use avocado oil mayonnaise. Another solution, which I use often, is to use sour cream, as I do in this recipe for spicy deviled eggs.
But today I wanted to see if Greek yogurt can work in a healthy deviled eggs recipe. Indeed, it can. I used Strauss Greek yogurt, which is extremely thick, so if you use a different brand, you might need to use less yogurt.
But yes, Greek yogurt deviled eggs are not just healthy but also creamy and delicious. The tartness of the Greek yogurt does not come through and is masked by the seasonings.
The only reason I can think of to use sour cream or mayo instead of Greek yogurt is if you are on an extremely low carb diet, where every gram of carbs counts – in that case, Greek yogurt does contain more carbs than the other options.
Watch the video:
- 6 large hard boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt (up to 1/2 cup depending on the thickness of the yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika plus more for topping
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut each egg in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks into a small bowl. Arrange the whites on a serving plate.
- Use a fork to mash the egg yolks.
- To the egg yolks, add Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Mix well, until smooth. If the mixture seems too dry, add more Greek yogurt.
- Spoon the mixture back into the egg whites. Sprinkle smoked paprika on top. Serve immediately, or refrigerate. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving.
Video music by Bensound.