Crispy, delicious kale fritters totally hit the spot when you want something greasy but healthy.
I’m so in love with these kale fritters.
I fully admit it: I love fried foods. There are no excuses, really. I didn’t grow up in the south (but oh, how I love visiting there!). But I did grow up with an amazing Jewish grandma, whose fried schnitzels and latkes were legendary. Does that count? 😀
It’s weird, but a happy weirdness, that grandma made latkes not only on Hanukkah, but every Friday. So every Friday we would visit, and my brother and I would get a plateful of goodies – golden schnitzels, crispy latkes, and fat, briny cucumber pickles. Not a fresh vegetable in sight! It was perfect.
So maybe that’s why I love fried food so much.
These days, I still eat fried food, but I do make an attempt at making it healthier. It can be as simple as pairing your latkes with a salad.
Or you can make these amazing kale fritters. They are everything that you want in a fritter – delicious, greasy and crispy – but they are made with the superfood kale! How cool is that.
Plus, they are fairly easy to make. Some fritters (such as these yellow squash fritters) are delicious, but tend to easily fall apart when you flip them. These kale fritters are pretty sturdy.
Oh! And today I discovered that leftovers are delicious cold, straight out of the fridge! That was some yummy snack I made myself earlier.
Needless to say, if you celebrate Hanukkah, these fritters make the perfect low carb latke alternative. (These collard green fritters are also very good, by the way).
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 8 oz kale leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Place the eggs, almond flour, Parmesan, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper and scallions in your food processor’s bowl. Briefly process to combine.
- Add the kale gradually, about a quarter at a time, and process to combine.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using a 4oz ice cream scoop or a 1/4 –cup measuring cup, drop the kale fritters into the oil. Fry until golden-brown, 4-5 minutes per side.
- Keep the cooked fritters in the warm oven while you add more oil to the pan and fry another batch.