Meaty, flavorful cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms are roasted in olive oil, then stuffed with cheese and heated until cheese is melted and bubbly.
There’s no need to give up on cheesy delights when going low carb! These cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms make a delightful brunch dish.
Cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms are also excellent as a vegetarian dinner, or you can serve them as a side to any meat. They are versatile, quick and tasty!
I really like portobello mushrooms. I love mushrooms in general, and consider them very healthy.
But there’s something special about portobello mushrooms. They are big, meaty and very flavorful. I relied on them a lot back when I leaned towards vegetarianism. Alas, being a vegetarian did not work to improve my glucose metabolism (on the contrary).
Now that I eat a low carb diet, I find that I still really enjoy portobello mushrooms, and this particular recipe for cheesy portobello mushrooms is especially wonderful.
Another portobello mushrooms recipe that I really like and make often is this wonderful recipe for spinach stuffed portobello mushrooms.
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- Heat broiler on high. Set oven rack in the middle of oven.
- Spray the mushrooms with olive oil all over. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Broil 5 minutes per side, until just tender.
- Drain, then place gill side down on paper towels for 10 minutes to drain completely.
- Fill the mushrooms with cheese. Broil just until cheese is melted, directly beneath the heat element, 1-2 minutes.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes on paper towels, then serve.