Low carb nachos make it possible to enjoy tasty nachos on a low carb diet. Simply replace the high carb tortilla chips with crunchy pork rinds. Genius – and delicious.
Of course you can still enjoy nachos on a low carb diet!
In these low carb nachos, simply replace the high carb tortilla chips with crunchy pork rinds, add your cheesy toppings and bake until warm and bubbly. Genius – and delicious.
Low carb nachos are obviously a great appetizer or party snack. But I often serve them as our main course at dinner. The kids love it, and so do we!
As a main course, this low carb nachos recipe feeds four. As an appetizer, it can easily feed six or more.
The only downside to using pork rinds is that they get soggy faster than tortilla chips. In my experience, though, this hasn’t been an issue, because unless you’re trying to keep leftovers, the pork rinds remain crunchy for the time it takes to finish this meal.
I love pork rinds and use them often in my low carb cooking. One of my favorite recipes using pork rinds is this recipe for low carb breaded shrimp, where I use crushed pork rinds as the coating.
Low Carb Nachos
- Olive oil spray
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (4 oz bag) plain pork rinds
- 4 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pickled sliced jalapenos
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a rimmed casserole dish with olive oil (a 9 X 13-inch baking dish will work).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until no longer raw, 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the pork rinds in a single layer on the prepared pan. Top with the cooked ground beef, then sprinkle the cheese evenly on top and top with the jalapenos.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately, with your choice of toppings such as sour cream, guacamole and salsa.