These pizza-stuffed bell peppers are just the thing when you crave pizza but prefer to avoid grains, carbs and excess calories!
I feel pretty confident in saying that for most who adopt a healthy, low carb diet, giving up pizza is one of the hardest things to do.
For the most part, I have found that I can let go of my old eating habits fairly easily, because there are so many wonderful low carb options.
But pizza is one thing that I do miss.
My solution? Finding ways to enjoy the pizza flavors – tangy tomato sauce, bubbly cheese and flavorful toppings – without them being attached to a high-carb, doughy base.
I think I’ve become pretty good at this (here are my low carb pizza recipes), and these pizza-stuffed bell peppers are a great example. You get to enjoy all the pizza flavor, without the extra carbs and calories. I love having these pizza stuffed bell peppers for lunch!
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 1 cup sugar-free pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- Your choice of toppings (I used 4 slices uncured pepperoni)
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the core and membranes.
- Layer the filling: Spoon 2 tablespoons pizza sauce into each bell pepper half. Top with 2 tablespoons mozzarella, then with 2 more tablespoons pizza sauce, and finally sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons mozzarella. Add your toppings.
- Place the stuffed bell peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Spray them with olive oil. Bake, uncovered, until peppers are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.