Roasting red onions takes them from bitter and pungent to mild and caramelized – almost sweet. Roasted red onions make a delightful side to any meat dish, and especially to grilled meats.
Roasted Red Onions
Prep and Cool time
Recipe type: Sides, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Paleo
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the onion, slice into ¼-inch thick slices and separate the slices into rings.
- Spread the onion rings in a glass baking dish. Add the olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast the onions, stirring once halfway through roasting, until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 148; Fat: 13g; Saturated fat: 2g; Carbohydrates: 6g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 282mg; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 1g