These homemade fruit snacks are not just fun and delicious- they are also healthy. Made with unflavored gelatin (here’s why gelatin is healthy), 100% fruit juice and honey, they are a far better choice than commercial fruit snacks, and although their texture is a bit different, they are still delightful.
It’s difficult to tell how many fruit snacks this recipe is going to yield for you, because it depends on the mold you use. For me, it yielded 30 truffle-size gummies (using this mold) plus two bigger ones (filling 2 silicone muffin cups 1/4 full), so I would say about 12 servings.
I used 100% grape juice to make my fruit snacks. You can use any juice you like, of course.
- 10 fl oz 100% grape juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- Place a silicone candy mold on a cookie sheet to keep it stable.
- In a small saucepan, add the juice and honey. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking to combine.
- Once heated, evenly sprinkle the gelatin, one tablespoon at a time, on top of the mixture, then stir with a fork to dissolve.
- Continue heating the mixture over medium-low heat until it is smooth and all the gelatin has fully melted.
- Quickly pour the mixture into a glass measuring cup with a pouring spout, then pour it into the silicone molds. Refrigerate for 2 hours, until set.
- Pop the fruit snacks out of the molds. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
12 fl oz (2 small cans) 100% pineapple juice (I used Dole)
2 tablespoons honey
4.5 tablespoons gelatin