Creamed spinach baked eggs make a delicious, filling weekend breakfast or a tasty vegetarian lunch or dinner.
The idea is simple – you make creamed spinach, then top it with eggs and bake it until the egg whites are set. It’s a tasty, filling dish.
- 1 lb. frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray two small, shallow, ½-quart baking dishes with olive oil spray. You can also make this in a square 8-inch pan.
- Make the creamed spinach: Place the frozen spinach in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high just until thawed, about 3 minutes. Place the spinach in a colander and press on it to get out as much liquid as possible. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, heavy cream and Parmesan. Cook, stirring, just until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the creamed spinach to the prepared baking dishes. Break two eggs into each dish. Bake until whites are set, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes (and with a little more salt and pepper if you’d like) and serve.