What to do with leftover turkey? Lots of ideas here: leftover turkey recipes. Today I made turkey chili – a thick, aromatic stew of leftover turkey, onions, tomatoes and spices.
Prep and Cool time
Recipe type: Entree, Gluten-Free, Primal/Paleo
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red peppers
- ½ (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (8 oz)
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped (10 oz total)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 24 oz. cooked white turkey meat, cubed
- 2 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, no salt added, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 cups water
- In a small bowl, with a fork, mix together the seasoning ingredients to create a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion, bell peppers, and one teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey and the seasoning mixture (use a small spatula to scrape it off the bowl) and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, the remaining salt and the black pepper. Add enough water to bring the chili to a thick stew consistency, 1-2 cups.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 295; Fat: 8g; Carbohydrates: 17g; Sugar: 2g; Sodium: 775mg; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 35g