Crispy, flavorful pork carnitas, wonderful on their own, in warm tortillas or lettuce wraps, or spooned over rice or cauliflower rice.
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Entree, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Primal/Paleo
Yield: 6 servings
- 2½ lb. boneless pork loin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 medium orange, cut in half
- Olive oil spray (Whole Foods has one with no additives)
- Use paper towels to dry the pork loin.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon and cayenne and rub all over the pork.
- Place the pork in a slow cooker. Squeeze the juice of the orange on top. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours, until the meat is fall-apart tender.
- Use 2 wide spatulas to lift the pork from the cooking liquids. Place it on a cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat.
- Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and mix it well with the cooking liquids.
- Preheat oven to broil. Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Spread the carnitas on the baking sheet, spray with olive oil and broil until crisp, 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 6 oz cooked meat; Calories: 422; Fat: 25g; Carbohydrates: 0g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 650mg; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 46g;