When I’m feeling too lazy to cook vegetables, I often slice a cucumber, sprinkle it with salt, and serve it as a very lazy side dish.
When I’m willing to make just a little more effort, I make this Asian cucumber salad. Chilled, flavorful and incredibly fresh, it’s the perfect summer side dish.
- 2 large cucumbers thinly sliced (1 lb.)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the sliced cucumbers and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small jar, shake the dressing ingredients until well-mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber and cilantro. Mix.
- Allow to rest 30 minutes at room temperature while you make the rest of your meal, then mix again and serve.