Tasty and fluffy gluten free lemon ricotta pancakes, made with coconut flour and pleasantly flavored with vanilla and lemon zest.
These gluten free lemon ricotta pancakes are amazing. They are very tasty, and wonderfully fluffy. Coconut flour is not easy to work with! But once you get the ratios right, it produces wonderful baked goods and pancakes (these lemon poppy seed muffins are a good example).
A few years ago, my husband and I were travelling, and we missed a flight due to a tight connection. We ended up staying the night in New York City (I guess there are worse things than being stranded in NYC for a day). The next morning, before departing for our early flight, we found a small cafe that was open, and was serving all kinds of goodies.
We decided on the lemon ricotta pancakes and oh my, they were absolutely wonderful. We each received a small stack of three big, fat, fluffy pancakes. The ricotta gave them wonderful creaminess, and their subtle lemony flavor was sublime.
To this day, we fondly recall that freezing morning in New York City.
How to make healthy, low carb lemon ricotta pancakes?
These days, my husband and I have transitioned to a gluten free, low carb diet. So those pancakes would have been out of the question. But I really wanted to make a healthy version of those wonderful lemon ricotta pancakes. But will they be any good?
As it turns out, gluten free pancakes CAN be wonderful. I often default to my very reliable recipe for almond flour pancakes, but for these lemon ricotta pancakes, I decided to use coconut flour. We loved the result!
Should I sweeten the batter?
I don’t sweeten the batter at all, which allows each diner to use their favorite topping – maple syrup, honey, or a low carb pancakes syrup. If you’d like, you can certainly add 2 tablespoons of any granulated sweetener to the batter, or the equivalent in stevia.
What about leftovers?
If you happen to have leftovers, they keep quite well for 1-2 days in the fridge, and can be reheated in the microwave. You can also freeze these gluten free lemon ricotta pancakes.
Another very good recipe for coconut flour pancakes is this recipe for low carb cottage cheese pancakes. They are wonderful!
Gluten Free Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour (42 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter for griddle
- Place all the ingredients except for the butter in your food processor bowl. Process until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping once to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Heat a nonstick double burner griddle over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Grease with half the butter. Pour the batter into the griddle, measuring 2 tablespoons per pancake (I use a 2-tablespoon ice cream scoop from Amazon).
- Cook the pancakes 4 minutes on each side, until golden-brown and puffed. Grease the griddle again and repeat with the second batch. Serve with butter and honey.