I first tried coconut haystacks in a small artisan chocolate shop in Lake Tahoe. They were exquisite! There are several classic food combinations – chocolate and peanut butter comes to mind, and chocolate and coconut is definitely another perfect combination.
As it turns out, it’s very easy to make coconut haystacks at home, and if you use dark chocolate and unsweetened coconut, it’s a very healthy treat, too!
- 3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup (80 grams) shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Line 6 muffin tin cups with paper liners.
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until chocolate is melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Stir the coconut into the chocolate, mixing until coconut is completely coated.
- Using a 4-tablespoon ice cream scoop, drop the mixture into the paper liners.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, until the chocolate is set. If you refrigerate the coconut haystacks for longer than 30 minutes, remove them from fridge 10 minutes before serving.