Delicious, cheesy and buttery, in this low-carb mac and cheese, the elbow macaroni is replaced by shirataki rice.
Low Carb Macaroni And Cheese
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Sides, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
Yield: 4 servings
- Olive oil spray (make your own using a spray bottle)
- 2 bags shirataki rice
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place four 1-cup ramekins on a baking sheet and lightly spray them with olive oil spray.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Using scissors, open the shirataki rice packages. Pour the contents into a colander. Ignore the slightly fishy smell - it will rinse/cook out. Rinse the “rice” under cold running water for 30 seconds.
- By now, your water should be boiling. Transfer the “rice” to the boiling water, bring back to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. While the rice boil, heat a clean, dry medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour the cooked shirataki rice back into the colander and drain well. Transfer to the hot skillet and dry-roast (adding no oil to the skillet), stirring, for 1-2 minutes, until rice is visibly dry and makes a squeaking sound when moved in the skillet. This step will get rid of the shirataki's rubbery texture, and help it better absorb the sauce compared to when slippery and wet.
- Transfer the boiled and dried shirataki rice to a medium bowl. Add the butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder and 4 ounces of the cheese. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake 30 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Shirataki noodles are not for everyone. In some, they may cause bloating, gas, diarrhea or constipation, and even intestinal obstruction. They can also affect the metabolism of medications.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 193; Fat: 17g; Carbohydrates: 0g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 500mg; Protein: 9g