Cauliflower gratin, rich and cheesy and comforting, is the perfect low carb alternative to starchy potato gratin.
Of all the many ways to prepare cauliflower, this creamy keto cauliflower gratin is one of my favorites.
Granted, adding sour cream and gruyere cheese to almost anything would make it taste good, but this is especially true for cauliflower.
As versatile as potatoes, but far healthier, cauliflower readily absorbs the richness of cream and cheese and is then elevated from a tasty veggie into a delicacy.
Cauliflower gratin is one of my favorite winter side dishes, it’s so cheesy and rich and comforting. It is also perfect for your holiday table.
This is an especially easy recipe for cauliflower gratin – briefly steam the cauliflower, mix with the quick sauce, and bake until golden and fragrant.
If you’re looking for more delicious ways to use cauliflower, try these very flavorful balsamic cauliflower steaks.
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil for pan
- 1 lb. cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 1.5-quart glass or ceramic baking dish with butter or olive oil.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mustard, garlic, gruyere, salt and pepper.
- Drain the cooked cauliflower well and pat dry. Add to the sauce, tossing to combine, then transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Switch to broil, and broil a couple of minutes, until golden-brown. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.