In this eggplant bake recipe, a well-seasoned mixture of eggplants and onions is baked until everything is browned, roasted and very flavorful. I’m sure tomatoes would be a welcome addition here, by the way – I just didn’t have any on hand tonight!
This eggplant bake is one of those dishes that may not be very photogenic, but it is truly a delicacy. Give it a try!
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 eggplants, unpeeled, cubed into ½-inch cubes
- 2 large onions (8 oz each), chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated or minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray them with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the eggplant cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Spread on the baking sheets and roast 10 minutes. Gently stir and roast 5 more minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, cayenne and salt. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute. Turn heat off.
- Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil spray. Lower oven heat to 350 degrees F. Add the roasted eggplant to the onion and spices mixture in the skillet and stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve.