Chopped liver is the Jewish version of chicken liver mousse. It’s simpler, heartier, less refined, and kosher because it doesn’t contain butter or cream.
Chopped liver is delicious – and very healthy. A 163-calorie serving provides you with 12 grams of protein, 125% of your daily vitamin A requirement, 150% B-12, 80% folate, around half your daily requirement of riboflavin and selenium, and around a third of your daily requirement of iron, niacin and pantothenic acid.
I like to add garlic to my chopped liver, a departure from tradition, but I have yet to find a meat dish that isn’t enhanced by a little garlic.
- 1 lb. chicken livers
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (8 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place livers on paper towels to drain. Place eggs in food processor bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and fry until golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a few more seconds, just until no longer raw. Using a spatula, transfer the skillet contents, including any remaining oil, to the food processor.
- Add 2 more tablespoons oil to the skillet. Add livers and fry until brown on the outside but still pink on the inside, 2-3 minutes per side. Don’t overcook, or the livers will become dry.
- Again use the spatula to transfer the skillet contents, including the livers, the oil and make sure you scrape any tasty bits left on the bottom of the skillet, to the food processor. Add the salt and pepper. Pulse just until smooth, about 30 seconds, stopping once to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Transfer the chopped liver to a serving dish. Cover and keep in the fridge for at least an hour, allowing flavors to meld. Don’t eat chopped liver when still warm! It needs time to develop its deep, earthy flavor.
- Chopped liver is traditionally served with crackers or warm toast (or Matzo in Passover), but it’s also excellent stuffed into mini bell peppers.