A delicious grilled cheese sandwich, made with gluten free flatbread. The flatbread is actually savory pancakes, made with coconut flour. So this is not exactly bread in terms of taste and texture, but still tasty and melty and highly pleasurable.
If you miss grilled cheese sandwiches on a low carb diet, definitely give this grilled cheese flatbread a try!
- 1 large egg
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1.5 tablespoons (10 grams) coconut flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoons (10 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, salt, garlic powder and milk.
- Whisk in the coconut flour and baking soda.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the butter and swirl or brush to coat.
- Dividing the batter into 2, pour it into the hot skillet, creating two pancakes and spreading them a bit with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon. You can make them round or oval, whatever works for you.
- Cook the flatbreads 3-4 minutes. When the tops start to bubble and the bottom is golden-brown, flip them both over.
- Place the cheese on one slice. Top with the second flatbread, uncooked side up. Continue cooking 1-2 minutes on each side, until flatbreads are browned and cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Allow to rest 1-2 minutes, then cut and serve.