Delicious, hot and bubbly enchilada casserole has all the flavor of traditional enchiladas, without the carbs. It’s also much less work!
This delicious enchilada casserole has all the flavors of chicken enchiladas, without the carbs.
Simply layer cooked chicken, chile peppers, enchilada sauce and cheddar, omit the beans and the tortillas, and bake until hot and bubbly.
This enchilada casserole isn’t just healthier – it’s also a lot less work than traditional enchiladas!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce (no salt/sugar added)
- ½ cup water
- 2 lb. cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, shredded (from 4 large chicken breasts)
- Enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chile peppers
- ½ cup (packed) minced fresh cilantro (1 oz)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Prepare the sauce: Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, black pepper, chili powder and cumin, and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, the enchilada sauce, chili peppers, cilantro and 1 cup cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.