Creamy and fresh, this homemade strawberry ice cream is a wonderful summer treat that requires no ice cream maker.
Strawberry Ice Cream
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Dessert, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Primal
Yield: 5 servings
- ¼ cup xylitol*
- ½ lb. fresh strawberries, tops removed, halved
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place the xylitol and the strawberries in your food processor bowl. Process into a smooth puree.
- Add the vanilla and heavy cream and process until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, stopping twice to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer to a 9-inch square baking dish. Cover and place in the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the freezer. Use a fork or a knife to stir the already-frozen edges into the still-soft center, then use a whisk to mix everything together until smooth.
- Cover again, and place in the freezer for 2 more hours, repeating the process of stirring the ice cream every 30 minutes, then freeze undisturbed for 1 more hour.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer 20 minutes before serving, to allow it to soften.
*Why I believe xylitol and erythritol are safe; if you’re not convinced, replace with equal amounts of granulated sugar, coconut sugar or honey.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: ½ cup (100 grams); Calories: 210; Fat: 18g; Carbohydrates: 5g; Sugar: 3g; Sodium: 18mg; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 1g