Well-seasoned and incredibly flavorful, these low-carb, Paleo sloppy joes do not need a spongy white bun to taste good!
Well-seasoned and incredibly flavorful, these sloppy joes do not need a spongy white bun to taste good!
Instead, spoon the savory meat mixture over shredded lettuce or cauliflower rice, or simply serve it on a plate next to some steamed veggies or a big salad, as I usually do.
It takes a while to let go of old habits such as “must have a bun with my sloppy Joes or burgers,” but – from personal experience – it can be done. 🙂
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (8oz)
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce, no sugar/salt added
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and the beef and cook until beef is browned, 7-8 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat as you cook.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and the salt. Cook, stirring, 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve on buns, on shredded lettuce, or on <a href="https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2013/05/15/cauliflower-rice/">riced cauliflower</a>.