This low carb microwave bread is ready in less than five minutes, and has a spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam.
This low-carb microwave bread is a compromise. It’s not true bread, of course – it’s soft and a little eggy. But if you’re trying to control your carbs, or need to avoid gluten, this microwave bread adds a nice variety to breakfast and lunch.
The “bread” is ready in less than five minutes, and has a spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam. It’s also good topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or with mustard and ham.
But my favorite use for this low carb microwave bread is to make a cheesy and gooey low carb grilled cheese sandwich. It’s absolutely delicious!
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix the ingredients until very smooth.
- Using a spatula, transfer to a small pyrex bowl (mine measures 2 inches on the bottom and 4 inches at the top).
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Bread will puff up while "baking," then deflate. When done, it will look like a muffin. Make sure it appears set, otherwise microwave 30 more seconds (but 90 seconds should be enough, and overcooking can dry it up).
- Gently, with a small knife, loosen the bread edges and remove from the bowl onto a plate. Slice into two slices and top with your favorite toppings.