This 90 second bread is low carb, gluten free and keto. It has a spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam.
This 90 second bread, a low carb microwave bread, is a compromise. It’s not true bread, of course – it’s soft and a little eggy. But if you’re trying to control your carbs, or need to avoid gluten, this microwave bread adds a nice variety to breakfast and lunch.
The 90 second bread is ready in less than five minutes (including measuring and mixing the batter), and has a spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam. It’s also good topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or with mustard and ham.
But my favorite use for this 90 second bread is to make a cheesy and gooey low carb grilled cheese sandwich. It’s absolutely delicious!
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder*
- In a small microwave safe bowl (mine measures 2 inches on the bottom and 4 inches at the top), use a fork to mix the ingredients together until very smooth.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Bread will puff up while "baking," then deflate. When done, it will look like a muffin. Make sure it appears set, otherwise microwave 30 more seconds (but 90 seconds should be enough, and overcooking can dry it up).
- Gently, with a small knife, loosen the bread edges and remove from the bowl onto a plate. Slice the 90 second bread crosswise into two slices and top with your favorite toppings.
For a paleo version, try replacing the baking powder with 1/16 teaspoon of baking soda (use a ⅛ measuring teaspoon and fill it halfway through) and ¾ teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice.