Check out my healthy Thanksgiving recipes!
A fiesta of flavors and colors, these oven baked stuffed poblano peppers are delicious, gorgeous, keto and low carb.
A fiesta of flavors and colors, these stuffed poblano peppers are incredibly flavorful. They are pretty too: serve them as an appetizer, or as I did tonight, two per person as the main course with a side of a simple tossed salad.
Poblano peppers have a rich flavor, a meaty texture, and mild to medium heat, depending on the particular pepper. Three of us loved the extra heat. One of us – the one who’s under twelve – said she would have preferred stuffed bell peppers. 🙂
The chicken filling in these oven baked stuffed poblano peppers is phenomenal, by the way. You can definitely use it to stuff sweet bell peppers, if you prefer.
Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for the pan
- 4 medium poblano peppers (1 lb. total weight w/ refuse, 12 oz. cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (10 oz.)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (4 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded (10 oz.)
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded (4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded (2 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and brush it with a little olive oil.
- Rinse and dry the poblanos. Cut a thin slice off the tops and remove the core and seeds. Cut a slit down the side of each pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring often, until liquids have evaporated, about 7 minutes. Off heat, stir in the chicken, the mozzarella and the cilantro, mixing well.
- Divide the filling among the peppers, adding it from the top and pressing on it to fill the entire pepper. Place the stuffed peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, until the poblanos are soft and charred in places (the smell will be amazing!).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and switch the oven to broil. Top the peppers with the cheddar cheese and broil just until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.