Pesto-stuffed mushrooms make a pretty, delicious appetizer or side dish. They’re great for parties, because you can make them in advance.
The combination of the earthy mushrooms and the savory, flavorful pesto sauce is incredible!
Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Appetizer, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Vegetarian
Yield: 12 servings
- 12 large crimini mushrooms (1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon for skillet
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ recipe (1/4 cup) pesto sauce
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with damp paper towels (don't wash - they soak water). Gently remove the stems. Brush the mushrooms on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Brush with a teaspoon of olive oil. Cook the mushrooms 5 minutes on each side, or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and toast, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the cooked mushrooms, gill side down, on paper towels to drain, about 5 minutes.
- Fill each mushroom with about a teaspoon of pesto sauce. Top with pine nuts. Serve immediately, or refrigerate, then heat, covered with foil, in a 350 F oven for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 stuffed mushroom; Calories: 38.7; Fat: 3.4g; Carbohydrates: 1.4g; Sugar: 0.7g; Sodium: 58.9mg; Fiber: 0.5g; Protein: 1.5g