Drop biscuits are as easy as it gets, since you don’t need to roll out the dough and cut out the biscuits. Another big advantage of drop biscuits: since you drop the dough rather than roll, you can leave the dough very sticky, too sticky to handle by hand. In a hot oven, this creates steam inside the biscuits as they bake, so you achieve tender, fluffy biscuits.
These delicious drop biscuits are made with Greek yogurt instead of butter and have become my family’s favorite biscuits. All they need as a topping is a little sweet butter, jam or honey.
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in your food processor's bowl. Process to combine. Add the yogurt and milk and process briefly, just until sticky dough forms.
- Using a 4-tablespoon ice cream scoop, scoop out the biscuits and drop on the prepared baking sheet, 1-inch apart.
- Bake 10 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately, with butter, honey and jam.