A very flavorful casserole of well-seasoned sautéed mushrooms, baked with eggs and Parmesan. Excellent for breakfast or as a vegetarian dinner.
This is one of those dishes that in the past I felt like I had to have bread with it. Now I know better! I just break the yolks, mix them into the mushroom (they make a deliciously creamy sauce), and enjoy.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil for baking dishes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 16 oz baby Bella mushrooms, washed, dried and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush two small, flat gratin dishes (mine hold 1 cup and measure 4 X 6 inches) with olive oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, the mushrooms, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms have released their liquids and are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the mushrooms among the prepared baking dishes. Break two eggs on top of each dish. Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining salt and pepper and with Parmesan. Bake 10-12 minutes for cooked whites and semi-soft yolks. Garnish with parsley and serve.