A hearty and filling cheeseburger casserole is s a wonderful low carb cheeseburger alternative. You won’t miss the bun!
This cheeseburger casserole is delicious, in a delightfully non-gourmet sort of way. Grownups and kids alike loved it when I served it tonight, and the younger one – the picky eater- even asked for seconds!
Cheeseburger casserole is a wonderful option if you follow a low carb diet. You get all the wonderful flavors of cheeseburger, without the soggy, spongy bun. Really, who needs a bun anyway? :)
I really like casseroles. They’re just so EASY. You place a few ingredients in the casserole dish, place it in the oven, and 30-60 minutes later, dinner is ready!
In fact, next time I make this cheeseburger casserole, I plan on adding veggies into the mix, to make my life even easier. I’m thinking that mixing in uncooked riced cauliflower and baking the whole thing together would work really well.
For now, to balance out the richness of this dish, I definitely skip the starches and serve it with a side veggie, such as simple steamed green beans, roasetd asparagus or a green salad.
- Olive oil spray for the baking dish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups (8 oz) sharp cheddar, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6 x 8-inch baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef, the onion and the salt. Cook, stirring to break up the beef, about 10 minutes, until meat is browned, onion is soft and liquids have evaporated.
- Add the garlic, black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool five minutes, then stir in the cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.