Check out my healthy Thanksgiving recipes!
Delicious zucchini pizza bites make great use of large, firm zucchinis. Enjoy the flavors of pizza, sparing yourself the carb overload!
The idea for these zucchini pizza bites came to me after I found some extra-large zucchinis at the farmer’s market. I was wondering what to do with them.
I grilled one of them just the way I usually grill eggplants, brushing it first with a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It turned out wonderful, and then it occurred to me that a large zucchini does resemble an eggplant, and since eggplant pizza is a big hit around here, I could try making zucchini pizza bites.
Success! These zucchini pizza bites are delicious and so easy to make. They make a great appetizer, or a delicious side dish.
Please don’t skip the step of salting the zucchini prior to roasting, to get rid of some of the water.
The basic recipe calls for using shredded mozzarella and pepperoni, but as you can see in the photos, I changed it up today and used sharp cheddar and Spanish chorizo. So feel free to use whatever cheese and toppings you like.
Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 1 extra-large zucchini, total weight about 1 lb., unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt for salting
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 2 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 oz uncured pepperoni
- Slice the zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place on a large plate and sprinkle with the salt. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil spray.
- Rinse the zucchini slices in a colander and pat dry with paper towels. Spread on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray with olive oil spray. Bake 10 minutes on each side, until tender and lightly browned.
- Spoon a little marinara sauce on top of each zucchini slice. Top with cheese and pepperoni. Return to the hot oven for 2 minutes or so, just until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.